axis-c-user mailing list archives

From Sam Lang <sl...@mcs.anl.gov>
Subject axis c++ project questions
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:01:15 GMT

I have some issues I would like to raise on the list to get feedback
from developers and users.

1. The error handling in Axis is pretty much non-existent.  The only
error code returned from a function in most cases is AXIS_FAIL, which
tells me nothing about the cause of the error.  Also, there's no
framework for chaining errors along from a base cause through the call
stack.  I'd like to see some kind of error handling architecture in
place, with an explicit project statement about how functions/methods
should create and use them.  Any thoughts on this?

2. C++ compilers across platforms behave quite differently in what C++
features are allowed and how they are treated.  Other C++ projects have
stated in writing what C++ features are portable, and which are not and
should be avoided. (for example, Mozilla has
http://www.mozilla.org/hacking/portable-cpp.html).  I would expect
XercesC++ has something like this at least internally, although I don't
see anything on their website.  Its vital that AxisC++ provide or
something like this.  I've run into a number of problems with AxisC++
over the lifetime of the project that seem to be platform specific.
Does anyone know what XercesC++ policy is on writing portable C++?

-Sam