axis-c-user mailing list archives

From "Sanjiva Weerawarana" <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject axis/c++ community (was: Re: Axis c++ for HP-UX)
Date Sat, 28 Feb 2004 02:31:05 GMT
"Sam Lang" <slang@mcs.anl.gov> writes:
> Unlikely.  I've submitted patches to get AxisC++ to work on linux with a
> 2.95 or 2.96 compiler, which haven't yet been incorporated into the CVS
> codebase.  From my perspective there are quite a few non-portable C++
> coding practices that have been used when developing AxisC++.  I've
> encouraged the group to define and adopt some portable coding
> guidelines, but there hasn't been much response except that I should
> define them myself.

Sam, this is an open source project. The success of an open source
project is defined by how successful the community is - there is
*no* "us" users vs. "them" developers as your note appears to imply.
The users are part of the community - in fact that's a critical part
of making successful open source projects IMO.

The note from Susantha to you asking for the guidelines was a
request for help. That's very typical of Apache open source
projects; maybe you are not familar with that much and expected
a "group" who are responsible for servicing the request of users.
Well, that's not the way it works.

Yes there have been some delays in committing some of the patches.
This project is still very young and we can definitely use more
committers. There are 24 outstanding items in this project right
now - that may seem very high to you, but note that Axis/Java has
206 right now.

I just looked at Jira and there are indeed several patches you've
submitted. Would you be interested in becoming a committer? I'll
be happy to submit your name for a vote.

Sanjiva.