axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From abramov <nicolas.doug...@epfl.ch>
Subject I a the axis c++ web service a good choice?
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2009 17:10:55 GMT

Hi,

I am implementing an application for the iPhone which needs a server to
retrieve some information. When the server receives an http request, it runs
an algorithm written in c++ (image matching) and then according to the
answer of the algorithm,  sends content in xml-form taken from a sql
database. Currently, the server application is implemented with a php
application which starts the algorithm as an external process. But this
solution is not efficient at all, because the process has to be launched
again at each client request.

Some people advice to me rather to develop a web service to efficiently
extend the matching algorithm as a web service. However, the difficulties is
to find a good toolkit which is performant enough but also simple since I
don't need sophisticated communication between the client and the server
(just send an image and receives an xml file).

Axis c++ seem to be the solution of my problem, but is it not too
complicated to use it in my case? In the case where it's a good choice, what
I need to install to create my web service? Only apache with the axis c++
tool?

Finally, I was wondering if C++ is a good choice to develop a web service,
is it not more easy with java and just links my c++ code inside?

I hope that someone can help me. Thanks a lot in advance for your answer,
regards,

Nicolas