axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Damitha Kumarage <>
Subject Re: Multi-threading
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 09:56:59 GMT
Hi Patrick
Patrick van Beem wrote:
> No. The current implementation of axis relies on an infinite number of available threads.
It assumes that when it requests a thread, it's getting one and it then starts the thread
with a thread method / data. But in reality, a thread pool would have a finite number of (re-used)
threads. In the case of axis, this would mean that the thread requesting the new thread would
block until a new thread is available. This is not what you want. For axis to work with  a
finite number of threads, the way it uses threads should change. It should not request a thread,
but it should submit a job (probably the thread method and data) to the thread pool. The submitting
thread can then continue an the thread pool can decide when the job is performed by which
Thanks for the explanation. I agree with it.

Damitha Kumarage

View raw message