axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick van Beem" <patrick.van.b...@quintiq.com>
Subject Re: Multi-threading
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 08:11:22 GMT
Hello,
--

Patrick van Beem
Sr. Software engineer

Quintiq

T +31 (0) 73 691 07 39
F +31 (0) 73 691 07 54
M +31 (0) 06 15 01 65 83
E patrick.van.beem@quintiq.com
I www.quintiq.com

I was not dealing with asynchronous operation in my application,
>>> so I don't know if you might need a separate thread-pool for
>>> each created environment.
>>>

>> The current implementation of a thread pool in axis is no thread pool but a
> collection of thread creation and deletion methods... So no...
>>
> But when creating environment you can pass your own thread pool. Would
> that not help?

No. The current implementation of axis relies on an infinite number of available threads.
It assumes that when it requests a thread, it's getting one and it then starts the thread
with a thread method / data. But in reality, a thread pool would have a finite number of (re-used)
threads. In the case of axis, this would mean that the thread requesting the new thread would
block until a new thread is available. This is not what you want. For axis to work with  a
finite number of threads, the way it uses threads should change. It should not request a thread,
but it should submit a job (probably the thread method and data) to the thread pool. The submitting
thread can then continue an the thread pool can decide when the job is performed by which
thread.

Regards,

Quintiq Conference "Quintessence 09" Tuesday May 12th, 2009, Country Estate Duin & Kruidberg,
near Amsterdam Schiphol, The Netherlands - for more information visit www.quintiq.com

of Quintiq. It is only intended for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute
or use this message or any part thereof. If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message. Please note that e-mails
are susceptible to change, therefore they are not binding.