axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Manjula Peiris <manj...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: Chunking when doing MTOM
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2008 06:52:08 GMT

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 00:51 -0400, Sahan Gamage wrote:
> Manjula,
>
> How about HTTP 1.0 case ? I think we should still support HTTP 1.0 and
> it does not support chunking IIRC. Also what happens in SMTP case
> (once/if we have it in place) ? I think MTOM implementation should be
> somewhat (not completely) transport independent and if the underlying
> transport supports whatever features (chunking, compression ...etc) we
> should use it. But we shouldn't make it mandatory to use features that
> are specific to some transports.

Your argument is right. But giving both these options in HTTP case will
make the current code base more and more complex. And Apache also says
it is HTTP 1.1 server. By default its responses are HTTP 1.1 even the
request is HTTP 1.0. See [1] for more details.

When talking about other transports we need to write some piece of code
inside those transport implementations in order to handle MTOM. So what
I propose is for the time being we keep this mandatory till this
implementation becomes stable and then consider the other aspects, like
HTTP 1.0 + MTOM. Remember this will not affect Axis2/C HTTP 1.0 support
when not doing mtom.

[1]http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/env.html