axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From "Supun Kamburugamuva" <supu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Possible improvements to Axis2/C
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2008 05:49:08 GMT
Hi List,

I have managed to get this thing working. The purpose of this implementation
is to avoid duplicating strings from the parser to the axiom level.
Guththila keeps a buffer of the incoming XML. Instead of duplicating XML
Strings from this buffer Guththila can give a pointer to the starting
position of the string in the buffer. We need to build Axiom by using these
pointers and Axiom shoudn't assume the ownership of these strings. This is
the brief summary of what I have done.

* Axiom Model Level*

Basically I have introduced a Boolean flag to virtually every structure on
Axiom as well axutil_qname_t structure. This flag indicates weather we are
allowed to free the string buffers or not. Here is an example.

 struct axiom_comment
{

    /** comment text */
    axutil_string_t *value;
    /* True if we are allowed to free string buffers */
    axis2_bool_t owns_strings;
};

Then I have introduced a new create method for all the structures in om.
This method creates the structure without assuming the ownership of the
strings. Following is the new method for axiom_element_t structure.

axiom_element_create_nos(params same as normal create method)

I don't feel right about the name of the method (nos means "not owns
strings"). So I would like to here a more readable name from you guys.
This create method sets the owns_strings to FALSE and all the getter methods
and setter methods were changed to act according to the owns_strings field.
These are the only changes to the Axiom level and as you can see no API
changes. Just few additional API methods.

* Stax Level
*
I have introduced the "owns_strings" Boolean flag to the
axiom_stax_builder_t structure. If this is FALSE, builder will build the
tree without assuming the ownership of the strings. So I have introduced a
new create method for stax builder as well.

AXIS2_EXTERN axiom_stax_builder_t *AXIS2_CALL
axiom_stax_builder_create_nos(
    const axutil_env_t * env,
    axiom_xml_reader_t * parser);

In all the stax builder methods the owns_strings flag is checked and
appropriate methods are called to build the om tree. For example if this
flag is FALSE the newly added axiom_element_create_nos will be called
instead of axiom_element_create_str.

* Parser Level*

I have introduced a new method to the axiom_xml_reader API. The method is

    AXIS2_EXTERN axis2_status_t AXIS2_CALL
    axiom_xml_reader_set_duplicate_strings(
        axiom_xml_reader_t * parser,
        const axutil_env_t * env,
        axis2_bool_t is_duplicate);

This method will try to set the parser to not to duplicate strings. If the
method is unsuccessful (in the case of Libxml2) this method will return
false. The advantage of this method is that depending on the return value of
this method we can create the appropriate stax builder (one that uses
duplicated strings or one that uses strings as pointers to a buffer).

The implementation is at an experimental level. All the samples are working
but there are memory leaks in the system. Also I haven't check the
implementation with Libxml2.  We need to do a performance test and see
weather this gives a good performance gain as well.

Regards,
Supun.