axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Samisa Abeysinghe <sam...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: Issue in using 'detach' for cloning
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2008 05:50:32 GMT
bmitchell@austin.rr.com wrote:
> Yes, Samisa, I wrote a shallow copy that used the ref counted attributes, while creating
new copies of element and text nodes as these are not ref-counted today.  As I wrote it in
the context of a C++ application, I need to do some cleanup to make it suitable to be included
in the axiom environment.  I'll try to work something up that people can comment on.

> When I thought about it some more, I realized that nothing prevents it from being a complete
copy routine, avoiding the ref-counts on the attributes.  That just involves a little more
execution overhead. Of course, such a copy would still share namespace structures with the
original tree.

> Another interesting thought I had is that even a serialize/deserialize clone implementation
has the same difficulty that Kasun raised with detach.  If the namespaces were declared at
a higher level than the subtree being serialized, then deserialization would fail as the xml
structure would refer to namespace prefixes that were not declared.  I think that serialization
would need essentially the same logic I wrote recently to handle the namespace references
in the subtree for detach.

I believe that I have fixed this with the implementation of the
serialize_sub_tree method that was done some time back. If you just use
serialize, and not serialize sub tree, then this problem would appear.

Thanks,
Samisa...