axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Samisa Abeysinghe <sam...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: Issue in using 'detach' for cloning
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2008 03:33:01 GMT
Kasun Indrasiri wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think, through out this thread there are various possible
> implementations were discussed with their pros and cons. I agreed with
> Senaka that the clone method should not be the 'best' or 'fast' one.
> And also Bill's ref count based implementation would suit where we may
> have to explicitly worry about the performance (and lazy coping also
> got its own pros and cons.)
> So, as Bill suggested earlier we can have several clone methods where
> user can select the method according to his preference. We can
> basically have one method for Shallow copy with ref counts and another
> with the normal serialize/desterilize approach. (and the lazy coping
> approach is also possible). Anyway it's a good move to implement these
> stuff with out affecting the existing axiom.

IMHO, cloning is not a use case that we really need for a SOAP engine.
If you are trying to use the same XML over and over again, passing it
here and there, without modification, you are really routing stuff and
not doing that many business logic processing.
I am still trying to figure out why would one want to detach and attach
a node in a module or a service. If the use case is less than 10%, I do
not think it is a good idea to major changes to the current AXIOM
implementation that works.

Samisa...