axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From <bmitch...@austin.rr.com>
Subject RE: Issue in using 'detach' for cloning
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Good, Samisa, I did explain it clearly enough.  The fact that an attribute may contain a pointer
to a namespace without the pointer being included in the namespace ref count strikes one at
first glance as odd.  But it works, if and only if, the same namespace structure is declared
for one of the parent elements of the attribute. So the current design, where the attribute
does not directly participate in incrementing and freeing the namespace structures can be
made to work, but it's fragile.  And the primary question is whether we want to keep this
architecture.

If we want to keep this architecture, I see two suggestions to fixing the issue with detach
without a deep clone of the namespaces.  After all, cloning the namespaces would mean new
structures, and all the namespace pointers in the subtree would need to be updated to the
cloned values.  Either we could run the subtree to ensure that every namespace pointer in
the subtree that refers to a namespace declared above the subtree is declared again at the
root of the subtree.  Or we could just run through the parents of the root of the subtree,
and for any namespaces associated with the parents re-declare them at the subtree root, taking
into account that only one namespace can be in-scope for any particular prefix.  Either way,
declaring the namespace structure again at the subtree root will cause its ref-count to be
incremented and the structure not freed until the detached subtree is freed.  The second approach
may cause some namespaces to be declared at the root that are never used by the subtree, but
it has a simple logic of gathering up all the namespaces that are in scope at that point in
the tree, and re-declaring them.

So the current architecture can be kept without too much work.

To show how it's fragile, one of the mistakes I made in trying to write a clone routine was
that I determined the default namespace at the source root using axiom_element_get_default_namespace,
and then used axiom_element_declare_default_namespace to declare the same namespace in the
cloned root.  Well, declare_default_namespace accepts a URI, not a namespace pointer, so the
new cloned tree pointed to a new namespace structure for the default namespace, while attributes
in the cloned subtree pointed to the original namespace structure.

We all understand ref counts and with some effort we can go through the code and make sure
that every pointer to a namespace either in an element or in an attribute is included in its
ref count.  This would, IMHO, create a more robust structure.  Implementing this is a little
error prone, though, and there is some risk of getting it wrong the first time.  Re-declaring
all the in-scope namespaces at the detached subtree root is easier to implement, and I think
is still sufficient to allow a clone algorithm to work by cloning just the elements while
sharing the namespaces and attributes through their ref counts.

Regards,
Bill