axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Samisa Abeysinghe <sam...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: Supporting PUT on Axis2/C
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2008 02:09:01 GMT
Ajith Ranabahu wrote:
> Hi,
> my understanding is that we support file handling in terms of MTOM/XOP
> where the file content (presumed binary) goes on as
> part of the payload. In terms of pure SOAP processing I don't think
> there is anything described with HTTP PUT so looking at  Axis2/C as a
> SOAP processor I don't see where the PUT support fits in.

Agreed.

> if there is a need to support PUT as part of  REST my guess is we need
> to discuss a bit more of where exactly we need PUT to be. The
> semantics of PUT is to 'store' something in the  server and IMHO our
> current service model does not have such a semantic [either in REST or
> SOAP]. The semantic we have right now is a file as an input to a
> service (if there is file argument somewhere) and that IMHO should be
> sent in some format in a POST (may be multipart/form-data ?)

Well can we not leave the semntics of "store" to the service
implementer? As the engine, what we are interested in is, if it is a PUT
request, locate the operation that maps to it and pass on the payload.
Then as far as the engine is concerned we are done. The semantics on
what to do in within the operation that maps to a PUT is up to the user.
IMHO, if we try and deal with the REST PUT semantics at the engine
level, we are making things overly complicated.

Thanks,
Samisa...