axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From "Rajika Kumarasiri" <rajik...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: maximum log file size 1M
Date Sat, 03 Nov 2007 12:29:05 GMT
hello,
The most common way of handling log file growth is via a rotation procedure.

First we define how many old copies of the log file we want to create/keep,
and the rate at which they should be rotate(once a day, once a week and so
on). When we rotate a given log file, the original file should rename to
have a '.1' suffix, rename the old '.1' file to have a '.2' suffix, and so
on. The last copy of the log file (with suffix '.n') should be erased. The
renaming process is done from last to first, otherwise we will end up with
'n' copies of the current log file. Once done, we create a new, empty log
file, with the same access permissions as the original log file.

Rajika