axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Manjula Peiris <manj...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: Neethi/C implementation
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 05:28:01 GMT
please see my comments inline.

On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 10:08 +0530, Kaushalye Kapuruge wrote:
> Hi Manjula and Others,
> In future we are going to have Axis2/C and it's modules(e.g. Rampart,
> Sandesha) to be dependent on WS-Policy. Right now only Rampart/C has
> implemented the security related policies, which can be considered as a
> sub set of WS-Policy. So the security related logic is already in
> Rampart/C.
> Even though it's more logical to have domain specific stuff in their
> domains, here we have to be more careful in deciding what the Axis2/C
> user is comfortable with. Since Neethi/C is more or less can be
> considered as the configuration module of Axis2/C, it directly involve
> with the end user experience. So the questions that can be raised are...

> 1.Are we going to have a single policy file to configure Axis2/C and
> it's modules? Or to have different domain specific policy files for
> different modules?
No we don't need to have different domain specific policy files for
different modules. Normaly what we are doing is attaching a policy
element in the services.xml and that policy element contains all types
of policy assertions (eg: Security, Rm, ect). The Axis2/C engine parses
the services.xmls and attaches these policy objects in their services.
The policies can be specified in operation level as well as message
level. So inside modules (eg:- Rampart) the relevent policies can be
extracted by going through this policy object.
By the way we should be able specify policies in axis2.xml. Because if a
particular user wants all his services to have the same policy this
would be useful.

> 2. Is it costly to build policy models for all the modules at the startup?
This will depend on what are the policies applied for services.
> 3. How the description hierarchy supports policy models?
Description hierarchy can keep policies in all levels. (service,
operation and message)

> 4. Can other platforms(e.g. PHP) adhere to a similar behavior as Axis2/C?
> Answers to this kind of questions would be trivial to make the decision
> that you need to take. :)
> There is one more thing. Even though Rampart/C configuration module is
> dependent on WS-Security Policy, there are certain assertions that
> Rampart/C has defined. For example to specify the Certificate/Key files.
> Assertions like this has nothing to do with Axis2/C or other modules. So
> do we have to make this kind of assertions be part of WS-Policy?
These assertions are also inside the policy element. There is no problem
keeping these types of assertions as a part of WS-policy.