axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Damitha Kumarage <damith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Double namespace validation mechanisms in sub build systems
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 04:42:27 GMT
Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:

> Damitha Kumarage wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:
>>
>>> For woden and xml_schema, I see that the include folder has a sub
>>> folder with the respective name and then we have the include files
>>> in them with the prefix axis2_woden and axis2_xml_schema.
>>> This is validating namespaces twice.
>>>
>>> 1. We do not need the sub folder
>>

>> Actually I think what we should have followed is the folder base
>> namespace rather than prefix based one. I suggest
>> this at least for the new projects. Otherwise if we make a install to
>> default places in unix it would clutter standard
>> folders with axis2 prefixed files. It is very neat if they all go
>> inside a folder like /usr/local/inclue/woden
>>
>>> 2. we do not need the axis2_ part of the prefix (Yes I know we
>>> started with these as part of axis2, but not any more)
>>

>> we don't need any prefix if we put headers in a folder
>>
>> We separed those two projects from the main code base after they were
>> already started. That's why axis2 prefix.
>> Yes we need to remove axis2 prefix not only from xml_schema and woden
>> projects but also from other axis2 platform
>> emerging projects like security etc.
>

> Well, we initially came up with the idea of having a prefix for the
> header file name by looking at the APR project as our master guide.
> What they do is that, when they install, they install stuff to a
> folder in /usr/include/apr-[n], where n represents the versions.
> As an example, I have /usr/include/apr-0/, and inside that folder all
> the headers had either apr_ or apu_ prefix.
> What this basically means is that we can accommodate parallel versions
> to reside on the same machine.
>
> Hence why not we also adhere to the same standard. We install our
> header into axis2-0.92 in install location and all the headers are put
> there with axis2_, axiom_, woden_ and xml_schema_ prefixes. When
> including the header, the use does not have to use a folder prefix in
> #include. Also, no need to bother about putting multiple paths to -I,
> all that you need is -I/usr/include/axis2-0.92 (or whatever version of
> axis2 installed). Would that not be cleaner?

Ok this has been a historical debate with us(since Axis C++ time).
Unfortunately I have forgotten(or did not understand the first time)
about the plan you described here when I created the structure for
xml_schema and woden. Anyway I would like to  make +1 for the above plan
and adhere to it. Also I'll remove axis2 prefix from
woden and xml_schema asap and prefix them with woden_ and xm_schema_
respectively.

thanks
Damitha