axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Nadir Amra <a...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Threading issues with log
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2006 17:28:07 GMT
Note I have not looked at axis2 code, so I am talking canceptually....

I am assuming there is a point where there is some initialization going on
prior to anyone using the trace that is tied to configuration. At that
time, one can set a global file handle to the log file by calling
trace_init() which simply contains the following code:

           FILE * traceFp = fopen(logFile, "w+");
           setvbuf(traceFp, NULL, _IOFBF, (size_t)(8*1024));

The above assumes trace records are no longer than 8K. This will ensure no
buffering takes place.

Then, in the actual routine that performs the trace:

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdarg.h>
#include <pthread.h>

void trace(const char *fmt, ... )
{
    char tempTimeStr[200];
    struct timeval t;
    struct tm *lTime;
    pthread_id_np_t   tid;
    va_list args;
    char myfmt[8*1024];

    if (traceFp == NULL)
        return;

    gettimeofday(&t, NULL);
    lTime = localtime((const time_t *)&t.tv_sec);
    strftime(tempTimeStr, 100, "%d/%b/%Y  %H:%M:%S", lTime);

    tid = pthread_getthreadid_np();

    sprintf(myfmt, "<%s.%03ld %016llx> %s", tempTimeStr, t.tv_usec/1000,
*((long long *)&tid), fmt);

    va_start(args, fmt);
    vfprintf(traceFp, myfmt, args);
    va_end(args);
    fflush(traceFp);
}

The above code is thread-safe and not only prints out the date and time
(included milli-seconds), but the thread ID also.

Nadir K. Amra

Samisa Abeysinghe <samisa.abeysinghe@gmail.com> wrote on 02/03/2006
10:51:11 PM: