axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: Axis2 versus C++
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 18:18:01 GMT
Hi John,

> We've got customer commitments on version 1 which make it impossible
> for us to help in v.2 - resources...resources...sigh .

Understood!

> This was the reason why I mentioned the tests. If we could see that
> the v2 was close to getting the complete set of tests working and was
> reasonably stable then I could make a case for supporting and thus
> working on v2. Otherwise, we'd just be swapping resource onto a system
> that was less stable than the one we use today while still having
> customer commitments. Swapping a team (and customers) from one
> codebase to another is non-trivial - and as we give customer drops of
> code on a frequent basis it'd be very hard to justify adding this
> level of instability to us or our customers . I'm sure you understand
> how it works :-)

+1 ... we will try our best to get the tests operational at the right
time; now is clearly not the right time! (We're a long way off :))

> Do you think that v2 is going to be able to support ws-* standards
> easily - what are your plans ? It'd be good to find a migration path
> so we can plan  ahead.
>
> I don't see the plans for v2 being discussed in this list - where do
> you guys do this?

There haven't been any specific discussions around Axis2/C other than
the original stuff we discussed at the Axis2 F2Fs. The plan then was to
redo it for the reasons Paul indicated in his reply.

W.r.t. WS-*- yes we fully plan to keep pushing on building
WS-Addressing, WS-Security*, WS-ReliableMessaging and WS-AT on top of
Axis2/C. Unfortunately can't give a timeline right now but I'd like to
see Axis2/C getting to 1.0 with SOAP 1.1/1.2 and WS-Addr support early
next year. Then we are in a position to unleash WS-Sec/RM/AT etc. all in
parallel.

Hope this helps!

Sanjiva.