axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From "Lilantha Darshana" <Lilantha.Darsh...@Siebel.com>
Subject RE: Max OS X?
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:03:05 GMT
Duane,

We appreciate your effort of trying to port the code to Mac OS.

I would suggest you start with GNU GCC and get it working on the
platform, Since GNU compiler kit is available on Mac OS X,
http://developer.apple.com/tools/gcc_overview.html and can be downloaded
from http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20722 or from
Apple developer connection site. I assume you would able to compile the
code with gcc without difficulty if you managed to correct set of
Makefiles that are outdated.

Second step would be to port the code using Metrowerks CodeWarrior and
Xcode. These links might help:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Porting/Conceptual/PortingUnix/
intro/chapter_1_section_1.html
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2071.html
http://developer.apple.com/macosx/multithreadedprogramming.html

> My first question is, is there a way to NOT use DLL/Shared Libraries
for
> the various entry points? As a porting exercise this complicates
things
> immensely.

It is not really necessary use shared libs however the current code is
written in a way that it allows you to dynamically plug in modules at
different stages which makes the code more flexible.
You may statically link to a *particular* configuration of your choice
as the first attempt. For that you need to change the code which loads
these dynamic modules. See
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man3/
dlopen.3.html#//apple_ref/doc/man/3/dlopen
If you use GCC as your first attempt, it won't be a much of a difficulty
to have these dynamic modules intact. for an example dlcompat
http://www.opendarwin.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/proj/dlcompat/ provides the
dlopen() for GCC. Or the Apple's GCC port itself.

>Do I need the Handler?

FYI please refer to:
-http://ws.apache.org/axis/java/architecture-guide.html#HandlersAndTheMe
ssagePathInAxis
-http://ws.apache.org/axis/cpp/arch/ArchitectureGuide.html
and http://ws.apache.org/axis/cpp/arch/handler.html

>ps.
>If this works out well enough, I hope to feed some of this back to the
axis.

We'll appreciate your contribution.

Thanks
-Lilantha

Siebel
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE CUSTOMER
Visit www.siebel.com

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains confidential
and/or privileged information belonging to Siebel Systems, Inc. or its customers or partners.
Any unauthorized review, use, copying, disclosure or distribution of this message is strictly
prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please contact the sender
by reply e-mail and destroy all soft and hard copies of the message and any attachments. Thank
you for your cooperation.