axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Samisa Abeysinghe <samisa.abeysin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Axis2 architecture implementation in C
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2005 02:02:07 GMT
Lilantha Darshana wrote:

> Paul,
>
> I'm truly fine going with only the highly portable set of C language
> (ISO C89, but not C99).
>
> Since in general, there aren’t anything which cannot be done with C.
>
> Advantages I see are not only the OO view of C++ (since, we can create
> similar form of OO view in C using
>
> structs and function pointers).
>
> But it’s strong typing, name mangling which allow us taking advantage
> of polymorphic behaviors,
>
> overloading, in scope variable declaration, exception handling (even
> though it is quite expensive), etc., are
>
> really useful features.

While C++ gives all these luxuries, the problems surface if one wants a
pure C integration with axis2c.
If the ineternals use C++ stuff like exceptions, then we could always
wrap with a C interface, but obviously that has its own implications.

Wrapping C with C++ is the natural way. Hence if the core is in C, C++
users wont mind. But if the core is in C++, people who would want pure C
would mind.

As already mentioned by Sanjiva
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=axis-c-dev&m=112797700620812&w=2) we
want to leave room for axis2c plugging in possibilities.

Thanks,
Samisa...