axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Guththila needs to define a set of error returns
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2005 06:57:52 GMT
On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 12:08 +0600, Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:
> Well going through the features supported by APR and also looking at the
> next contender, NSPR
> ( we
> found that, if we are to support a portable runtimes in a pluggable way,
> we would have to spend a whole lot of effort on the portable runtime
> abstraction layer.
> It would be almost like writing another portable runtime :(
> Hence IMHO it is the best to use only APR as a pre-requisit of Axis2C,
> saves time and more relaible.
> Also Apache httpd does it, why should we not?

+1 .. we might want to consider making a layer for some stuff tho- for
example, if inside PHP I imagine we have to use some PHP memory alloc
routines rather than the APR one? So for some basic stuff we may indeed
need to wrap APR but in general trying to wrap the entire virtual
platform creates a new virtual virtual platform!

View raw message