axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Whitlock <>
Subject Fw: Using STL (Was: Exception model (more thoughts))
Date Sat, 16 Jul 2005 21:06:15 GMT

Hi Henrik,
Having STL on the external Axis C++ API means that users have to build
their applications with the same compiler that was used to build Axis C++,
or else rebuild Axis C++ themselves. This is because different compilers
have different implementations of the STL.
I remember we have had lengthy discussions in the past about STL on this
mailing list. Does anyone have links to the threads?
Mark Whitlock

----- Forwarded by Mark Whitlock/UK/IBM on 16/07/2005 21:57 -----
             "Henrik Nordberg"
                                       "Apache AXIS C Developers List"
             15/07/2005 18:10          <>
              "Apache AXIS C           Re: Using STL (Was: Exception model
             Developers List"          (more thoughts))

I think it is worth taking a closer look at this issue, because using the
STL (standard C++, really) can make the code less buggy (because you worry
less about pointers), easier to understand (for C++ programmers) and more
compatible with existing C++ code.

What platforms have problems and what are those problems?
How does using STL only within get around those problems (the code still
needs to be compiled)?

I don't mean to cause trouble, I truly want to understand this problem. C++

has come a long way and I think Axis-C++ can benefit from that.

 - Henrik