axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From "Samisa Abeysinghe" <SAbeysin...@virtusa.com>
Subject RE: timeout exception because of no Content-Length
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2005 02:16:29 GMT
Hi,
	Even though the variable name used in the implementation is
m_iContentLength, it has nothing to do with the HTTP Content-Length
header. As Carsten has pointed out, there is no need to have the
Content-Length HTTP header, if the message is chunked.
	Our transport has been fixed to work with chunked data long time
back and it has been working OK since then.
	Please vary your time out and see if you get lager message with
larger timeout, or if you get the same amount of message with different
timeouts.
	If you get larger message with larger timeout, then you can
solve the problem by increasing the timeout. However, if that is not the
case, then there may be a bug which we would have to dig into.

Thanks,
Samisa...

-----Original Message-----
From: Carsten Blecken [mailto:cblecken@macrovision.com]
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2005 4:37 AM
To: Apache AXIS C Developers List
Subject: RE: timeout exception because of no Content-Length

Hi,

if you are saying that the chunked code path depends on
Content-Length to be set, then this is likely a bug in
the code. The http spec does NOT require content-length
to be set if transfer encoding is chunked. There a several
app servers out there who use chunking (I know Jetty for
sure) and no content length. The logic should be to look
for 'Transfer-Encoding : chunked' first and only after
none was found to look for Content-length.

Carsten

P.S> The relevant HTTP spec part -

When a message-body is included with a message, the transfer-length of
that body is determined by one of the following (in order of
precedence):

1.Any response message which "MUST NOT" include a message-body (such as
the 1xx, 204, and 304 responses and any response to a HEAD request) is
always terminated by the first empty line after the header fields,
regardless of the entity-header fields present in the message.

2.If a Transfer-Encoding header field (section 14.41) is present and has
any value other than "identity", then the transfer-length is defined by
use of the "chunked" transfer-coding (section 3.6), unless the message
is terminated by closing the connection.

3.If a Content-Length header field (section 14.13) is present, its
decimal value in OCTETs represents both the entity-length and the
transfer-length. The Content-Length header field MUST NOT be sent if
these two lengths are different (i.e., if a Transfer-Encoding

     header field is present). If a message is received with both a
     Transfer-Encoding header field and a Content-Length header field,
     the latter MUST be ignored.

4.If the message uses the media type "multipart/byteranges", and the
ransfer-length is not otherwise specified, then this self- elimiting
media type defines the transfer-length. This media type UST NOT be used
unless the sender knows that the recipient can arse it; the presence in
a request of a Range header with ultiple byte- range specifiers from a
1.1 client implies that the lient can parse multipart/byteranges

       A range header might be forwarded by a 1.0 proxy that does not
       understand multipart/byteranges; in this case the server MUST
       delimit the message using methods defined in items 1,3 or 5 of
       this section.

5.By the server closing the connection. (Closing the connection cannot
be used to indicate the end of a request body, since that would leave no
possibility for the server to send back a response.)