axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From John Hawkins <HAWKI...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject FFDC
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 10:52:10 GMT
Hi Folks,

time to discuss FFDC again :-)

We'd really like to see FFDC being used in the code. Here are some
thoughts....

FFDC is meant to be used in areas where the exception was completely
unexpected. In WebSphere application server FFDC consists of two elements.

1.      The Object Stack
is a list of ?useful things to have? so that when an FFDC situation occurs
the FFDC handler has some information as to what state objects were in
prior to the Failure. This system is only as good as the information given
put on the stack and relies on developers putting the appropriate objects
to the stack.

2.      FFDC at every exception
Websphere application server originally expected every exception to have
an FFDC record output. This led to situations where FFDC was being
produced and the exception was being thrown back up the stack. The next
catcher would then produce more FFDC. This is obviously not a good system.

I don't believe that it's possible to automate the putting in of FFDC and
that it's a completely manual process - thoughts?

Does everyone agree that we should have the Object stack or do we just
want an FFDC API only? I think the Object stack would be a good idea in
certain circumstances - it does require that you know the code-paths (and
there respective entry points). However, we really only have a couple of
these paths so it should be fairly obvious?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the API?

thoughts please?

cheers,
John.