axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From "Lilantha Darshana" <Lilantha.Darsh...@Siebel.com>
Subject RE: Platform abstraction layer thoughts
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 18:16:43 GMT
I think this is what we discussed when we were originally discussing
this idea - PAL

I believe, object oriented model is the way to go.

Additionally layered architecture simplifies the design. As if we follow
the following model of layering.

Here, zero-th layer is the platform abstraction layer.

3

Service

Axis engine etc

2

common

General - broadest applicability that helps Axis engine e.g. XML parsing

1

Language

Code that effectively extends C/C++ (e.g. extending string operation
functions or way to handle introspection in C++ etc.).

0

Environment or platform

Per environment/configuration (PAL - Platform Abstraction Layer)

e.g. specializations to support:

mutexes, library loading, socket/stream, memory management, error/signal
handling, threading etc.

thanks

-Lilantha

  _____