axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From "Lilantha Darshana" <Lilantha.Darsh...@Siebel.com>
Subject RE: FFDC
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 16:12:11 GMT
I'm also wondering what it is? :)

I can find this on googling: First Failure Data Capture (FFDC) - Is this
an IBM s/w?
Or available as an open source lib/tools etc?

thanks
-Lilantha
-----Original Message-----
From: Davanum Srinivas [mailto:davanum@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 7:17 AM
To: Apache AXIS C Developers List
Subject: Re: FFDC

what's FFDC? :)

-- dims

On 5/13/05, John Hawkins <HAWKINSJ@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> time to discuss FFDC again :-)
>
> We'd really like to see FFDC being used in the code. Here are some
> thoughts....
>
> FFDC is meant to be used in areas where the exception was completely
> unexpected. In WebSphere application server FFDC consists of two
elements.

> 1.        The Object Stack
> is a list of "useful things to have" so that when an FFDC situation
occurs
> the FFDC handler has some information as to what state objects were in
prior
> to the Failure. This system is only as good as the information given
put on
> the stack and relies on developers putting the appropriate objects to
the
> stack.
>
> 2.        FFDC at every exception
> Websphere application server originally expected every exception to
have an
> FFDC record output. This led to situations where FFDC was being
produced and
> the exception was being thrown back up the stack. The next catcher
would
> then produce more FFDC. This is obviously not a good system.
>

> I don't believe that it's possible to automate the putting in of FFDC
and
> that it's a completely manual process - thoughts?
>

> Does everyone agree that we should have the Object stack or do we just
want
> an FFDC API only? I think the Object stack would be a good idea in
certain
> circumstances - it does require that you know the code-paths (and
there
> respective entry points). However, we really only have a couple of
these
> paths so it should be fairly obvious?
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on the API?
>
> thoughts please?
>

> cheers,
> John.

Siebel
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE CUSTOMER
Visit www.siebel.com

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains confidential
and/or privileged information belonging to Siebel Systems, Inc. or its customers or partners.
Any unauthorized review, use, copying, disclosure or distribution of this message is strictly
prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please contact the sender
by reply e-mail and destroy all soft and hard copies of the message and any attachments. Thank
you for your cooperation.