axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Ahab Abouzour <eabou...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: WSDL2Ws tool and wrapped vs nonwrapped
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 15:20:34 GMT

Samisa and John (and others),

I read this article for Anne Thomas Manes found here:
http://atmanes.blogspot.com/2005/03/wrapped-documentliteral-convention.html
and it REALLY helped me understand the basics. Also I
read the WSDL spec 1.1 sections 3.3 soap:binding,
section 3.4 soap:operation, section 3.5 soap:body.

I'm going to share with you what I THINKING I
UNDERSTOOD from these readings (correct me if I'm
wrong):

1- Wrapped is a form of document/literal. It must
follow the rules described by Anne's article. Most
important ones is: ONE body part in input/output
message, soap:binding should specify style="document"
and soap:body must specify use="literal"

2- Wrapped and unWrapped basically specify how the
soap should look like to that both client and server
know how to parse/deserialize it.

3- From a WSDL2Ws tool perspective, this is a
server-side thing ONLY and is useful when you have
your webservice implemented (in java or c++) and you
want to generate the WSDL file for it. You tell the
tool how you want it generate the WSDL for you,
wrapped (doc/lit) or unwrapped (rpc/enc). Once the
services is generated in either styles, it will expect
the soap to conform to the style rules so that it can
parse it. I guess the tool should validate if this
option is used with server-side and outputs a warning
if otherwise.

4- From a client side perspective, which what I was
doing trying to generate the stubs, wrapped/unwrapped
options are meaningless because the client STARTS with
a WSDL document and it HAS to follow the rules in that
document. If the services expects wrappped soap and
specifies that explicitly in the WSDL and the client
["force" things for example by generating their own
soap and] sends unwrapped soap, I expect
parsing/deserialization problems to occur on the
server side.
So, a simple printed warning is good enough at least
to alert the user that's they're trying to do
something illogical.

Hope that clarifies things and if you thing there is
something I miss interpreted, please let me know as
we're all trying to understand this!