axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Whitlock <mark_whitl...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Fw: Rtionale for having literal package folder in WSDL tool
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:05:56 GMT

Hi,
I can't see a simple way of refactoring WSDL2Ws to make it a whole lot
simpler. And the problem is going to get worse if we ever support
rpc/literal, etc.

I like your idea of having rpc/encoded and doc/literal both inheriting from
common superclasses. I hate having to fix a bug in 4 different places
cpp/doclit, cpp/rpcenc, c/doclit and c/rpcenc, particularly when I'm not
set up with tests to check that I've copied my fix across accurately. I'm
sure these 4 variants have got out of step. All I can suggest is....

 - Push as many methods as possible up the object hierarchy. Particularly
methods which are very similar in rpc/enc and doc/lit and could call small
rpcenc-specific or doclit-specific methods to perform the differences. As I
do the C support I was wondering if there are methods that are sufficiently
similar that could be common between C and C++, and call C or C++ utility
methods to perform their small differences.

 - Focus on source files and methods that have changed a lot in cvs. These
are likely to have evolved and patched many times and need
rewriting/refactoring.

Mark
Mark Whitlock
IBM

----- Forwarded by Mark Whitlock/UK/IBM on 26/04/2005 11:30 -----

             Samisa Abeysinghe
             <sabeysinghe@virt
             usa.com>                                                   To
                                       Apache AXIS C Developers List
                                                                        cc

              "Apache AXIS C           Re: Rtionale for having literal
             Developers List"          package folder in WSDL tool

Hi Adrian,
             Thank you for the reply. Your refactoring certainly did help.
             As you have rightly said, I too have concerns on the side
effects. I
have been looking into the all and choice constructs with Chinthana and
Dushshantha. I was wondering if it would be good to do this prior to the
additional wsdl construct implementation so that the guys get a better
understanding of the code.

Thanks,
Samisa...

--