axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From "Lilantha Darshana" <Lilantha.Darsh...@Siebel.com>
Subject RE: GNU Make and VC++ projects for 1.5 release
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:03:37 GMT
FYI: here is a list of operating systems that have jvm 1.4.x supports.

Sun jre: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/system-configurations.html

IBM jre: http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/index.html

Hp jre: http://h18012.www1.hp.com/java/alpha/index.html

JREs for other OSs: http://java-virtual-machine.net/other.html

These are a small percentage of all the operating systems today we have.

And even for them jre versions for some of them are still 1.1 or 1.2.

But not 1.3.x or 1.4.x

Good examples are widely use operating systems like:

NetBSD and OpenBSD JRE versions are still 1.1 or 1.2.

In some of the cases the same OS in different h/w architecture does not
have JREs.

In contrast, most of UNIX flavors carry Make with some C/C++ compiler
than that of a

JRE. Since Unix flavors are written in C for the h/w.

So having Make/GNU Make scripts facilitate compiling Axis C++ on such
OSs and aid porting

Axis C++ into such platform with a less effort.

This is a general thought with thinking in the line of project future
support for other OSs.

If you all think this is difficult to be finished for 1.5 we'll plan to
do it in 1.6. if so, we need

updating our build instructions in documentations, to state that we do
not support make in

1.5 release??

I'm giving +1 for at least to maintain Ant and Make. We can avoid
maintaining MSVC projects though.

thanks

-Lilantha

  _____