axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Samisa Abeysinghe <samisa.abeysin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal - release versioning and branching model.
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2005 07:06:54 GMT
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 01:42:15 -0500, Lilantha Darshana
<ldarshana@edocs.com> wrote:
> Every body 100% agree on that and have no question about fixing defect and
> providing them as soon as ppl expect them in what ever versions we release
> next. I know you guys have spent quite a lot of your valuable time on that.
>
> Here the effort is to little bit change the model on what we used to do
> since 1.1 until now. and focusing on to reduce number of defects
> we *introduce* each time by having better understanding and a collaboration
> model. That's why we need discussing even about proper version
> numbering scheme, IMO. Some time, these kind of discussion goes too far
> when ppl have +ve/-ve arguments. anyway, that's need to be there.
>
> Now if you carefully analyze the past, we can figure out, why we have
> 100+ defects for 1.5? Do we need to go on like that until we satisfy only few
> users OR we do a careful analyze and make things better and provide
> what users expect, and by adhering to the technology trend - and finally
> with less defects. That's save every bodies valuable time I hope.

There could be this many issues due to couple of reasons:
1. Developers have done too bad job and has done only feature addition
without doing a quality job
2. There are many people testing the product as a result of widespread
use and because there is a formal test strategy in place

I go with the second reason and would like to provide fixes to as many
as possible. Because people are using it and they report problems with
the hope the issues would be fixed.

I am sorry that you have started this thread on the eve of 1.5
release. Many have their plans laid around this release. This
discussion would have been done way back in October 2004 when 1.3 was
done. Because there were so many lengthy discussions on 1.4 and 1.5 at
that time, and there was some agreemt over the timelines and set of
features and version  numbers.

It is not the right time to continue on this. May be after 1.5, before
1.6. But not now.

Samisa...

> -L

:-)