axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Nadir Amra <a...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: Proposal - release versioning and branching model.
Date Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:49:58 GMT
I think we need to come to a point where we think the public APIs are
solid.  At that point in time, we should avoid changing the public APIs
unless absolutely necessary in order to avoid customers having to rebuild
their applications.

Changes/enhancements to the engine itself should be OK, and I really do
not have an opinion whether it should be in a point release or major
release.  However, I do think we should use point releases in the future
for fixes, platform support, etc.

But the code base is continuously being enhanced and fixed, so I am not
sure when would be a good time to go to the release/versioning model.

I do think we are moving through the major releases too fast....but not
sure what can be done about it.....

"Lilantha Darshana" <ldarshana@edocs.com> wrote on 01/19/2005 02:22:00 PM:

> [...]
> the code and suggested moving to 1.4.
>
> However, assume that in 1.4 we have made some changes to public API
> as well. This mean that, they need
> changing their code (to reflect new API changes in 1.4) and test
> this changed code with 1.4 release when
> they move. This also introduce a down time for their production
> server as well until the defect get fixed. And
> is not a cost effective transition.
>
> This scenario shows that in reality this is not a happy situation
> for any one. In contrast if we had a minor+point
> version, and had that defect fixed in those minor/point version,
> customer would have seamlessly moved to the
> defect fixed version and could have gain advantage of the minor
> enhancement done in the new version without
> even touching their code and just by a configuration change. (of
> cause with some minor testing)
>
> Considering above facts and lots of other reasons let me elaborate
> my proposal little more:
>
> Major releases signify significant changes to the library and
infrastructure.
> Developers may perform a major release if there have been
> substantial improvements
> to the component. Developers must perform a major release whenever
> the new release
> is not - at least interface-compatible the previous release.
> (We can relax on this hard rule little bit, by customizing this
> according to our need )-
> This mean clients need lot of code changes for them to use new
> version. To adhere to this
> model we need to work on a better/improve our design on public APIs.
> Ideally, when we
> publish and documents this API we should not change it until at
> least for the next major
> version. Although we can discuss this and customize as we wish.
>
> Minor releases signify enhancements to a component that do not
> necessitate a major release.
> Developers may perform a minor release if the release is at least
> external-interface-compatible
> with the previous release. In other words, whenever a client depends
> upon at most the external
> interface of a component with a given minor release, it will work
> with all subsequent minor releases
> within that major release. This does not refrain us been releasing
> new APIs keeping already
> published APIs intact.
>
> A point release typically involves simple bug fixes or optimizations
> that do not introduce new features.
> Developers may perform a point release if the release is at least
> interface-compatible with the previous
> release. In other words, whenever a client depends upon a component
> with a given point release, it
> will work with all subsequent point releases within that minor release
>
> Additionally we shall have alpha, beta, rc versions as currently we
have.

> I haven't heard from others, please provide your thoughts & suggestions?

Majorversions.