axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Samisa Abeysinghe <samisa_abeysin...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Fw: Ant build [WAS: Re: Run fails [WAS:Re: Build error log ...}]
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:07:29 GMT
Andrew, Mark,

Thanks you for the thoughts.

I 100% agree that it makes life easy to have the output directory seperate. I got the feeling
that
it is for the same reason that in the GNU build, everything was placed to deploy folder (bin
and
libs) so that it could be moved out independent of source.

At the moment, all the docs (install guides, user guides) are based on the assumption that
programs built would be placed in deploy/bin and libs in deploy/lib.

We may have to update the docs if we are to change this with ant build. However, I think we
could
still place all the stuff in deploy and solve many problems.

Thanks,
Samisa...

--- Andrew Perry2 <PERRYAN@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> Samisa,
>
> Having the source tree directly in your home directory can cause problem as
> it tries by default to write to the ../../../obj directory which would be
> /home so you would not have write access to this directory. You can either
> create a sub directory structure or override the dir.obj Ant property to
> specify the ouput directory. I tend to create an axiscpp/src directory and
> checkout ws-axis into it to create $HOME/axiscpp/src/ws-axis/c then when
> Ant is run the $HOME/axiscpp/obj directory is created and all the output is
> in that directory structure, it also c=keeps my home directory clutter free
> :-). If you don't like that then you set dir.obj to whatever, e.g. ant
> -Ddir.obj=../../build. This way if ws-axis is in your home directory,
> $HOME/ws-axis/c, then the build output will go into $HOME/build or where
> ever is specified. It can be an absolute path.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Andrew Perry
> Clients for Web Service Stack
> perryan@uk.ibm.com
> Mail Point 127
> IBM UK Laboratories. Hursley Park, Winchester, Hants. SO21 2JN
> Tel. Internal 249828  External + 44 (0)1962 819828
> Fax. + 44(0)1962 818080
>

>              Mark
>              Whitlock/UK/IBM@I
>              BMGB                                                       To
>                                        axis-c-dev@ws.apache.org
>              23/11/2004 15:45                                           cc
>
>                                                                    Subject
>              Please respond to         Fw: Ant build [WAS: Re: Run fails
>               "Apache AXIS C           [WAS:Re: Build error log ...}]
>              Developers List"

> Hi Samisa,
> I can run ant on linux
>
> $ pwd
> /home/whitlock/linux/src
> $ cvs checkout ws-axis/c
> $ ls
> ws-axis
> $ cd ws-axis/c
> $ ant
> .......... lines deleted ..............
> $ cd ../../..
> $ pwd
> /home/whitlock/linux
> $ ls
> obj   src
>
> I hope that helps to solve your build problems.
>
> I like it that the ant build puts the build output in a separate directory
> to the source. That way I can easily delete the build output tree and be
> sure that I have done a full rebuild - there are no output files lurking
> from a previous build. Also it ensures that I don't accidentally commit
> build output into cvs.
> Mark
> Mark Whitlock
> IBM

> [...]