axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From John Hawkins <HAWKI...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Fw: changes
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:57:59 GMT

+1 for 1.4 - This is not something we should consider for 1.3

John Hawkins

             Mark
             Whitlock/UK/IBM@I
             BMGB                                                       To
                                       axis-c-dev@ws.apache.org
             14/10/2004 10:25                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Fw: changes
              "Apache AXIS C
             Developers List"

Hi,

> --- Valentin Kuznetsov <vkuznet@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > 2) Add namespace around all enums. I found that Axis
> > conflicts with other software we use who also have
> > enum with CRITICAL, INFO, WARN keywords. If we'll wrap
> > those enum in axis into axis specific namespace all
> > existing and potential future problems will go away.
> >

> +1
>
> Samisa...

Simply putting namespaces around these enums would break C applications,
since C does not support namespaces. I agree this is the right solution for
C++. For C, it would be good to prefix all enums with AXIS_. I don't think
AXIS_SEVERITY_LEVEL needs to be externalised anyway, since it is only used
by trace and AxisTrace.h is not external. There is also a problem with some
externalised #defines like XML_Ch and SOAPACTIONHEADER which could also
clash.

So I propose move AXIS_SEVERITY_LEVEL to AxisTrace.h, for C++ put
namespaces around all enums, for C prefix all enums with AXIS_, and for
*both* C and C++ prefix all #defines with AXIS_.

Unfortunately this will require applications changing, WSDL2WS changes and
stubs being regenerated when users move to 1.3. Is this critical for 1.3 or
should we just move AXIS_SEVERITY_LEVEL to AxisTrace.h in 1.3 and fix it
all properly for 1.4?

I have raised JIRA AXISCPP-202 to track this problem.
Mark
Mark Whitlock
IBM