axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Samisa Abeysinghe <samisa_abeysin...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Modifications to Linux install guide
Date Fri, 08 Oct 2004 12:35:54 GMT
I have missed out one thing in this doc.
We need to include WSDL2WS info (how to build and need for Axis Java 1.2 Jars).
At least we have to give a link to WSDL2WS tool page.

Thanks,
Samisa...

--- damitha kumarage <damitha@opensource.lk> wrote:

> Hi Samisa,
>
> Your changes are excellent.
>
> But there are some steps that need attention
>
> in step 6 is not needed, because when you make install everytinng will
> get installed in $AXISCPP_DEPLOY folder
>
> You don't need to say enable-sample in cofigure options because by
> default samples and testcases are built. If you don't need them only you
> need to say enable-samples=no
>
> Why we need steps 9 and 10 when we have scripts to do them and they are
> sufficiently simple and self descriptive.
>
> I have updated your file and attached here for your reference
>
> thanks
> damitha
> On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 14:58, Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >     I did some major modifications to Linux install guide to make is more compact
and
> organized.
> >
> >     I would like this to be reviewed before being put on web site.
> >
> >     Please have a look and give your comments.
> > Thanks,
> > Samisa...

> > http://vote.yahoo.com

---------------------------------
    Axis C++ Linux Installation GuideAxis C++ Linux Installation GuideContents

Introduction
What You Need
Installing Axis C++

Introduction

This guide will help you to start with Axis C++. I'll explain theminimum steps needed to build
and
run Axis C++, and warn you about thecommon pitfalls.

What You Need

You need few helper libraries for parsing XML, WSDL processing andintrospection. You need
to have
the following in order to run Axis C++engine.
      Apache web server  (2.0.x or 1.3.x)  - Youneed to have Apache built with module so support,
hence you need tohave source of Apache web server.
Axis C++ uses Apache web server to host services.

      Expat (1.95.7)  and/or Xerces C++ (2.2.0) XML parser(s)
Axis C++ needs an XML parser to parse SOAP messages and WSDD files. Ithas a parser abstraction
layer that help users select/switch betweenparsers. However only once parser library could
be used
at a time. Currently Expat and Xerces parsers are supported by Axis C++.

Installing Axis C++
1. Install Apache web server. In case you already have an Apacheinstallation, make sure that
'so
modules' are enabled. This is becauseAxis C++ server engine is implemented as an 'so module'.
(For
Apache1.3.x use --enable-module=so; for Apache 2.0.x use --enable-so whenconfiguring. See
Apache
web server documentation for more details)

2. Install Expat (1.95.7) and/or Xerces C++ (2.2.0) depending on yourparser preferences. See
the
respective parser's documentation forinstallation instructions.

3. Download Axis C++ source or binary distribution and extract the package.

4. Define the following environment variables.
AXISCPP_HOME="Path to Axis C++ source or binary extracted folder"
e.g. AXISCPP_HOME="/my/home/axiscpp"

AXISCPP_DEPLOY="Path to folder where you want to install Axis C++"
e.g. AXISCPP_DEPLOY="/usr/local/axiscpp_deploy"

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="
/lib:$AXISCPP_DEPLOY/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"

export AXISCPP_HOME AXISCPP_DEPLOY LD_LIBRARY_PATH

5. Build Axis C++ (If you downloaded Axis C++ binaries, you can skip this step)
cd $AXISCPP_HOME
./configure --prefix=$AXISCPP_DEPLOY --with-apache2=/path/to/Apache2
--with-xercesc=/path/to/xerces-c
make
make install

The above set of instructions assume you have Apache 2.0.x web server and Xerces C++ parser.
For more information on build options run ./configure --help.

The libs created in build process are placed in$AXISCPP_DEPLOY/lib. (Provided that you used
$AXISCPP_DEPLOY as--prefix option for configuring). Note that you need permission to install
the specified directory given in prefix option

You need global access rights to Axis C++ deploy folder to make sure Axis C++ work properly.
chmod -R 777 $AXISCPP_DEPLOY

6. Configure Apache module
Note: to execute the following steps, you may need to have super user rights on your machine.
Now you need to add to edithttpd.conf file in <path to Apache web server installation>/confand
add
the following lines at the bottom of that file (assuming youare using Apache 2.0.x):

LoadModule axis_module modules/libaxiscpp_mod2.so
<Location /axis>
SetHandler axis
</Location>

For Apache1.3.x LoadModule line should read as:
LoadModule axis_module libexec/libaxiscpp_mod.so

7. Configure server deployment descriptor file
Now you need the server deployment descriptor (server.wsdd) to deploy server samples you built.
There is a sample deployment descriptor called server.wsdd_linux in $AXISCPP_DEPLOY/etc to
help
deploy samples.
If you edit this file to your requirements then when you run step 9 it will be turned into
server.wsdd.server.wsdd file is an XML file, and the contents are self descriptive.

8. Set engine wide settings in configuration file
Axis C++ uses a configuration file to let the user specify preferencessuch as log file locations,
transport and parser libs to be used andlocation of deployment descriptor files. A sample
configuration file named axiscpp.conf_linux is installed in $AXISCPP_DEPLOY/etc folder. Edit
thisfile to your reqirements.When you execute step 9 this file will be turnedinto axiscpp.conf

Configuration file has the following Syntax:
The comment character is '#'
WSDDFilePath: The path to the server wsdd file
ClientWSDDFilePath:The path to the client wsdd
LogPath: The path to the Axis C++ server log
ClientLogPath: The path to the Axis C++ client log
Transport_http: The HTTP transport library
XMLParser: The XML parser library

A sample axiscpp.conf file:

LogPath:/usr/local/axiscpp_deploy/log/AxisLog
WSDDFilePath:/usr/local/axiscpp_deploy/etc/server.wsdd
ClientLogPath:/usr/local/axiscpp_deploy/log/AxisClientLog
XMLParser:/usr/local/axiscpp_deploy/lib/libaxis_xercesc.so
Transport_http:/usr/local/axiscpp_deploy/lib/libaxis2_transport.so

9. deploying in apache
Now we need to copy apache module(libaxiscpp_mod2.so for apache2 and libaxiscpp_mod.so for
apache)
to the correct places and start apache. Todo that you can find scripts written in
$AXISCPP_DEPLOY/bin.

cd $AXISCPP_DEPLOY/bin

                          To deploy on apache2 sh deploy_apache2.sh

                          To deploy on apache
sh deploy_apache.sh
Have a look into these script files and they are self descriptive and

                          when you run them,
libaxiscpp_mod2.so is copied to /modules     (the corresponding folder in apache is libexec)

libaxis_xercesc.so is renamed to libaxis_xmlparser.so.
Apache is started and libaxiscpp_mod2.so is loaded into apache.

                          Note that if you need to use different parser you need to edit the
script.For example if you use expat
instead of
 cp -f ${AXISCPP_DEPLOY}/lib/libaxis_xercesc.so ${AXISCPP_DEPLOY}/lib/libaxis_xmlparser.so
 you
need
 cp -f ${AXISCPP_DEPLOY}/lib/libaxis_expat.so ${AXISCPP_DEPLOY}/lib/libaxis_xmlparser.so

10. See Axis C++ in action
Now the installation is complete. You can verify that the server side is working by accessing
the
URL http://localhost/axis/using your web browser. You should get the Axis C++ welcome page
andthis
page will show you a list of deployed services as specified by the$AXISCPP_DEPLOY/conf/server.wsdd
file.

Now you can run a client sample and see if it works.
cd $AXISCPP_DEPLOY/bin
./base

To help you run several samples at once there is a script namedrun_interoptests.sh in
$AXISCPP_DEPLOY/bin folder. You can try runningthat as well.

          PDF