axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Samisa Abeysinghe <samisa_abeysin...@yahoo.com>
Subject Few comments on Linux Install Doc
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 06:22:43 GMT
Hi All,
   I reviewed the Linux Install guide (that is on the web site) and I have few thoughts:

1. It says:
"You need to have the following in order to run Axis C++ engine.
      RedHat 9 (2.4.20-8)
      expat-1.95.7 (source)
      xerces-c-src2_2_0 (I build xerces from source)
      httpd-2.0.48 (source)
      apache_1.3.27 (source)"

Should'nt it be:
"You need to have the following in order to run Axis C++ engine.
      expat-1.95.7 (source) and/or xerces-c-src2_2_0 (I build xerces from source)
      httpd-2.0.48 (source) or apache_1.3.27 (source)"
BTW: Is it httpd-2.0.48 or Apache 2.0.48? Is it apache_1.3.27 or Apache 1.3.27? Do we need
to say
to get source of these packages? I think we can build Axis C++ with bin packages of these
(or do
we need to recompile apache with module so support)?

2. It says
"Note: In my environment I have
autoconf 2.57
automake 1.6.3
libtool 1.4.3
gcc 3.2.2"

I think it is not necessary to mention them.

3. The Linux install doc goes on and explain various configure options such as --with-apache2,
--with-apache, --with-expat, --with-xercesc, etc. We can make the doc short and sweet by just
mentioning to the user "for more info on build options run ./configure --help" and just mention
the defaults here

4. Do we need to list contents of $AXISCPP_DEPLOY/lib? I think it is enough to mention "You
can
see the folder $AXISCPP_DEPLOY/lib to see what are created" and not list contents. (Content
listing results in poor readability)

5. It says:
"Now you need to add to $<apache install directory>/conf/httpd.conf $ vi <apache
install
directory>/conf/httpd.conf "
This makes no sense. It is sufficient to say; "edit httpd.conf in your $APACHE_HOME/conf/
and add
the following"

6. Install guide goes on to explain the contets of axiscpp.conf. I think it is enough to mention
the default contents here and we should have a seperate doc on axiscpp.conf to explain the
contents of the conf file in detail.

Thoughts please.
If you guys are OK with these, I can change the doc in CVS.

PS: I am still not clear on how to change docs and add them to the web site :-(. I need to
go back
and refer the mail from Rangika.

Thanks,
Samisa...