axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From John Hawkins <>
Subject Re: C and C++ support
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:09:58 GMT

Yep - we thought of that already :-)

We're going to set up some server tests to ensure that we don't screw it

John Hawkins

             Samisa Abeysinghe
                                       Apache AXIS C User List
             30/09/2004 11:10          <>,
             Please respond to
              "Apache AXIS C                                       Subject
             Developers List"          Re: C and C++ support

Hi All,
   One of the possible problems of converting the engine to pure C++ is
that, one would have to
keep an eye on both the client side as well as the server side, while the
refactoring is going on.
So it would be necessary to have both client side as well as server side
test cases in place
before we start on this task. (a typical refactoring scenario) I think we
can manage with whatever
tests we have at the moment.
   As long as we keep on testing client and server in parallel, we would be
able to achieve
success with this task.

--- John Hawkins <> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> Throughout the last year we have come across many problems related to our
> continued commitment to supporting both C and C++ stubs. The design of
> engine code has been greatly affected by this and has caused quite a few
> problems particularly with regard to memory management. Please see here
> and here
> for some of the issues
> have recently uncovered.
> The reasoning behind supporting C is clear - to support legacy
> applications. We have had the debate about using C internally for
> performance reasons and I think we have concluded that we need to get the
> code stable and then consider performance. The intermingling of C and C++
> in the core code has created more problems than it would appear to have
> solved (Current performance charts show azis C looking very bad).
> In order to improve and stabilise the code I would like to propose that
> remove C structures, memory allocation etc. such that we have a 100% C++
> engine. If we did this we can then enhance WSDL2WS such that it creates C
> wrappers for the pure C++ code. There is, in my opinion,  no question
> this will improve the quality of the code - particularly memory
> If this is agreed upon then I would like to propose that we take a two
> staged approach in the management of this change. I would like us to
> withdraw C support for the NEXT RELEASE ONLY (1.4). In 1.4 we can work on
> making the engine 100% C++. I would then like us to reintroduce the C
> support in the post 1.4 timeframe (1.5) by making the changes to WSDL2WS.
> This approach enables us to concentrate on improving the core engine code
> in the first instance without worrying about updating the C support in
> WSDL2WS - code that will get changed in the next release. Once we have
> proven that we have a stable 100% C++ engine we can then concentrate
> entirely on C support - i.e. by producing the nicely encapsulated
> wrappering layer.
> I hope that we, as a community, can work through this problem quickly so
> that we can make the core code more stable and C support of a much higher
> quality. I look forward to your responses.
> (This is copied to both the dev and user community for response.)
> John.
> John Hawkins

Do you Yahoo!?