axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From John Hawkins <HAWKI...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [Default Parser for build] C++ Web Services article
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:30:17 GMT

+1

 John Hawkins

             Samisa Abeysinghe
             <samisa_abeysingh
                                       Apache AXIS C Developers List
                                                                        cc

              "Apache AXIS C           Re: [Default Parser for build] C++
             Developers List"          Web Services article

I used the tests/client/performance/time test program with both Expat and
Xerces parsers.

The client crashes with Expat parser if I try to use a message with more
than 7580 characters.
(with older transport the number of characters possible even much less than
this)

With Xerces parser, I could go upto 2621440 characters and it did not crash
(I did not try larger
messages than that)

However, Expat parser was slightly faster than Xerces parser for smaller
messages.

Until someone fix problems with Expat parser, I propose using Xerces as
default parser for our
builds.

Thanks,
Samisa...

--- Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@opensource.lk> wrote:

> +1 .. even for the parser its nice to use the Apache family one
> as the default.
>
> Does expat run a lot faster? If so I suggest making that the
> default .. until we get our own typed pull parser going.
>
> Dasarath/Susantha: Can u guys post a status note about it please?
>
> Sanjiva.

cc

Subject
> >              Please respond to         Re: C++ Web Services article
> >               "Apache AXIS C
> >              Developers List"
> >

> > If project is interesting of making Linux RPMs.
> > I had quite a bit of experience with them and can
> > try to make one(s) for axis.
> >
> > If so, I need to know some preferences:
> > - which XML parser to use (I used expat on Linux)
> > - which release to use (so far I used 1.2 with success
> > for my business project)
> > - which Linux distribution to use (so far I used
> > Fedora and RedHat 9), I can make spec files which can
> > be tested and used for other Linux distributions
> >
> > One comment though, I can start only in mid-October,
> > since I'm going to conference and need to prepare a
> > lot of stuff.
> >
> > Valentin.
> >
> > --- John Hawkins <HAWKINSJ@uk.ibm.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Hmm, well I see what they're saying ->
> > >

> > >  Apache Axis is rudimentary and lacks good
> > > documentation. CRN Test Center
> > >  engineers used the installation procedures posted
> > > on Apache's Web site but
> > >  found the instructions to be mostly incorrect. With
> > > no way to get the
> > >  product up and running easily, customers and
> > > solution providers are forced
> > >  to compile the product from scratch, which is a
> > > time-consuming process and
> > >  would require changes to hard-coded references in
> > > header and configuration
> > >  files. This product is not recommended for VARs
> > > that have not worked with
> > >  open-source products.
> > >

> > > We do need to improve the distribution of the code
> > > such that people can
> > > pick up a pre-compiiled build. We are looking into
> > > this !  There are also
> > > documentation issues outlined here - I can't argue
> > > with them - we do need
> > > to keep the docs up to date !
> > >
> > > I think the most striking thing about this is that
> > > Axis C comes out as a
> > > developers product. We need to think more about the
> > > fact that most people
> > > do not want to build code they want to just run with
> > > code. Providing clear
> > > concise instructions from a users point of view.
> > > Developing code with good
> > > trace mechanisms, providing code that handles
> > > exceptions easily and allows
> > > a user to understand how to handle problems - These
> > > are things that we need
> > > to bear in mind at all times as we go forward. The
> > > addition of entry and
> > > exit trace in the last few days will help us debug
> > > user problems (and thus
> > > retain users). The addition of a good steady build
> > > and regression suite in
> > > the near future will also help maintenance of the
> > > code and users get up and
> > > running with it.
> > >
> > > I think, overall, we should consider that we are
> [...]
=== message truncated ===