axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Perry2 <PERR...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject RE: Generated source in CVS
Date Fri, 03 Sep 2004 12:36:47 GMT

I'm just removing a dependency on j2ee.jar (SocketFactory) then re-testing
and documenting. Hopefully this afternoon, but probably Monday. I'm working
on a structure for building the java services via Ant, and the minimum set
of what is required to be in the deliverable to make it buildable on IBM
WebSphere and AXIS Java. In between builds I'm doing the tcp monitor
automation stuff.

Regards

Andrew Perry
Clients for Web Service Stack
perryan@uk.ibm.com
Mail Point 127
IBM UK Laboratories. Hursley Park, Winchester, Hants. SO21 2JN
Tel. Internal 249828  External + 44 (0)1962 819828
Fax. + 44(0)1962 818080

             John
             Hawkins/UK/IBM@IB
             MGB                                                        To
                                       "Apache AXIS C Developers List"
                                                                        cc

              "Apache AXIS C           RE: Generated source in CVS
             Developers List"

Re having static tests for e.g.  looking at results through tcpmon.
Andrew Perry is implementing a simple automation of handler tests that
spins off a tcpmon like program that puts the result into a file and then
does a compare of the expected result to the actual result.

Andrew - how long until this can go into cvs?

John Hawkins

             damitha kumarage
             <damitha@opensour
             ce.lk>                                                     To

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 11:36, Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:
> --- damitha kumarage <damitha@opensource.lk> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 10:09, Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:
> > > Sounds like we are in sync on this.
> > >
> > > I think we have bulk of the required functionality with the auto
build and test suite scripts
> > we
> > > have got. (BTW: do we have Windows versions of these now?)
> > >
> > > Damitha! Are we going to remove the generated code for the existing
samples/tests from cvs?

> > I think samples sould be static and in the build time samples should be
> > built. But the tests should not be static and code should be generated
> > when running the test suite.
> > For a average user who intend to down load and see the samples running
> > ./configure ...
> > make
> > make install
> > deploy the service samples and run the client samples
> >

> > For a developer who needs to see whether everything is ok before he
> > commits his changes.
> > cd $AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build
> >
> > sh autoBuildCVS.sh
> > This should
> > 1. merge his changes
> > 2. source build
> > 3. generage tests
> > 4. deploy service tests
> > 5. run client tests
> >
> > Therefore my suggestion is that we need to have all the tests in the
> > auto_build/testcases folder. If we need any static tests then we can
put
> > them
> > in $AXISCPP_HOME/tests folder as well. But in this case code should not

> > be generated for testing. All the required files should be in place.
> > In this sense uddi_inquire test should not be placed in
> > $AXISCPP_HOME/tests. It should be in
> > $AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build/testcases
>
> This does not sound correct to me. This sounds like lot of duplication
(same test in 2 places)

> Why cant we use the tests in $AXISCPP_HOME/tests from
$AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build/testcases?
> I do not understand the need for seperation of dynamic and static.
> I thought we are using $AXISCPP_HOME/tests from within
$AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build/testcases.
under $AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build/testcases we have seperate folder
to keep wsdls and another folder to keep client .cpp files(not
generated). When it builds it creates the folder <wsdlname>Client.cpp in
$AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build/testcases/build and generate the files
and copy the client .cpp file to that place and build.

Why we need a static tests is for the following reason. Some tests are
there you can check the test only by looking at the response result on
tcpmon. eg. to test whether handler add a response header.

Actually there should be no test duplication. I am suggesting to move
all the tests to auto_build/testcases folder from tests folder unless
you need it there for some specific reason as the example mentioned
above.

> I do not think that we need the generated code at all, because if someone
is to use Axis C++
> he/she must have the WSDL2WS tool. Hence I see no point in putting the
generated code in cvs,
> whether the test is static or not.
>
> The greatest trouble I have is that the cvs chekout takes hours when the
network is slow, and most
> of the time is spent on downloading the code that I could have easily
generated locally.

> For those users who need to have a look at the samples, the generated
code is not required to be
> packaged. They can generate and see if they want.

The problem here is that if the samples files are to be generated at
build time how to do that in make make install process?
Does the ant build for c++ make the life easier in this respect?

thanks
damitha

> Samisa...
>

> > thanks