axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From "Sanjiva Weerawarana" <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: RE: SOAPAction - does Axis do anything with it?]
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2004 18:05:55 GMT
I *totally* disagree with Anne that "A SOAP server should always
dispatch the request based on the message signature, which is
the QName of the first child element of the <soap:Body>."!

Look at WS-Addressing .. it basically says that dispatching
should only work with <Action> - which at first glance can be
viewed at as the SOAP action stored inside a SOAP header.

Furthermore, in a doc/lit type world (the brave new future
we're heading to), dispatching on the QName of the element
would mean that you can only do one thing with a given
element. That is, I can't have operations which given
a purchase order provides status info about that order or
actually does the order. That sucks.

Now, that is not to say more flexible routing would not be
a good thing .. but just that its *not* wrong to say that
you route only with SOAPAction.

There's actually an on-going discussion of this on the WSDL
working group mailing list (which is public). (See [1] for
how to subscribe to [2].)

[1] http://www.w3.org/Mail/Request
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/

Sanjiva.