axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Kenneth Chiu <ch...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject RE: STL elimination - Suggestions
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 14:39:29 GMT
On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Roshan Weerasuriya wrote:
> hi all,
>
> Please have a look at the AxisMap class implemented below and provide your
> comments. The implementation files are attached with this mail. The
> attachement includes:
> 1) AxisMap.h, AxisMap.cpp       //AxisMap implemntaion
> 2) AxisMapUtils.h, AxisMapUtils.cpp //Utility methods such as Standard
> De-allocator funcitons
> 3) TestMap3.cpp  //The sample cpp file which includes example usage of the
> above AxisMap implementation
>
> The idea is to eliminate stl map from the code base and use Axis's own
> AxisMap implementation.

Some comments:

What is the intended use of AxisMap?  Note that
insertion/lookup is now O(N), rather than O(lg N).  Creating
a map is now O(N^2).  Fine if you don't plan on putting a
lot in it.  Otherwise it might be a performance problem.

Also, if you are going to be putting a lot of things in it,
you might consider growing exponentially.

I suggest trying to make the interface look like STL.  Many
experienced C++ programmers will already be familiar with
STL, which would save them from having to learn yet another
interface.

The heavy use of 'void *' means that you are no longer
type-safe.  I would personally prefer either the use of
polymorphism and RTTI, or templates.

In AxixMap::put(), you delete a "void *".  Do you mean to
call the value dealloc function instead?

In ~AxisMap(), you are using the pre-ISO scoping rules for
for-loops.