axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <>
Subject Re:
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 02:49:23 GMT

why there can not be just one top level cnfigure script with options like

./configure [--with-expat=PATH] [--with-xerces=PATH]
[--with-apache2=PATH] [--with-apache=PATH] [--deploy-dir=PATH]

after running this configure all is left for developer would be:
make deploy (which copies necessary deployment config to deploy dir)

i think that would be way simpler than current lot of steps (and three
bootstrap/configure scripts) and manual editing required to get anything
to compile ...

Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:

>I think making the configure select the required parser and transport is
>important with the configure script.
>With the new design of Axis C++, user may want to build a particular
>parser and not the other when given a choice.
>It is no harm building make for all. However, in a real scenario, the
>configure phase should validate that the required elements for the user
>selection on the machine the build takes place. (Existence of headers
>and libs). If we are to get there, we have to make sure that only the
>required make files are generated. Else the user may have to make sure
>that all the elements required by all options are available on the
>machine, which is not feasible.
>(E.g. If I want to use only the Xerces parser, I would not want to have
>Expat on my systems. Additionally, I would like to see if configure
>could pick up the headers and libs from my Xerces installation. So that
>I do not have the trouble of manually copying them here and there)
a specific individual and purpose, and is intended for the addressee only.  Any unauthorized
disclosure, use, dissemination, copying, or distribution of this message or any of its attachments
or the information contained in this e-mail, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly
prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail and delete this message.