axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Lilantha Darshana <ldarsh...@edocs.com>
Subject RE: STL elimination - Suggestions
Date Thu, 06 May 2004 22:10:50 GMT
I would suggestion at this point going for w_char * for strings handling to
support
Unicode char-sets.

Think twice when you replace std::string with your impl. of a String class.
Do a performance
comparison and usability study. Your class should out perform std::string in
the context
you use. o/w stick with std::string.

Writing your own Map class is also the same -- std::map impl. uses best
algorithms available
today. hence, If you go for your impl. you should think twice. -- if it
possible to replace
key/value lookup with index/value lookup then just go for using an array.
o/w its an overkill.
and harder to use. void pointer casting require some more instruction in
it's machine code.
But compile time binding does not involve any additional instruction in its
object code.

But if you could make your code simple and avoid using std::maps, that's
really improves the
performance. Iff simple C code/algo can do the same task.

But f we can avoid using following in most of the cases if you know the size
of the collection
before hand. by using a simple array.

std::queue
std::list