axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From John Hawkins <HAWKI...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Setting HTTP headers from C++ stubs
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:12:06 GMT

Hi Samisa,

My perspective was from the OO side. Having a thing called set HTTPHeader
on a generic Call interface doesn't sound right to me.

However, I see that having as much commonality as possible with Java would
be good. Can we point to other areas in the code where we have simalarity
to justify this approach?

John Hawkins,

Tel:
Internal:  (7) 24-7131
External: (+44 ) (0) 1962 817131

Mailpoint 188,
IBM UK,
Hursley Park,
Winchester,
UK.
SO21 2JN

             Samisa Abeysinghe
             <samisa_abeysingh
                                       Apache AXIS C Developers List
                                                                        cc

              "Apache AXIS C           Re: Setting HTTP headers from C++
             Developers List"          stubs

If you look at Java, it uses direct simple API calls for simple things as
setHTTPHeader. I think if we are to use handlers it would make a simple
tasks such as set HTTP heders more difficult. Also users will have the
extra burden of setting up handlers even for simple tasks.

But for setting custom SOAP headers, Handlers would be a good idea.

Therefor I think we have to draw a line and define what are to be supported
with handlers and what are not to be supported by handlers.

For setHTTPHeader I would still preffer the way that I have suggested,
rhather than handlers.
But for complex SOAP headers such as security related ones, lets use
handlers.

Thanks,
Samisa...

damitha@opensource.lk wrote:
 Hi,
 +1. This should be the way I think

 damitha

 > Good short-term answer Samisa - how about we move to a handler model on
 > the
 > client side to enable Transport handlers to be registered which could do
 > this in a more generic way? I believe there is a model for this already
 in
 > Java Axis? But I'm not familiar with it yet.
 >

 > John Hawkins,
 >
 > Tel:
 > Internal: (7) 24-7131
 > External: (+44 ) (0) 1962 817131
 >
 > Mailpoint 188,
 > IBM UK,
 > Hursley Park,
 > Winchester,
 > UK.
 > SO21 2JN
 >

 > Samisa Abeysinghe
 > > e@yahoo.com> To
 > Apache AXIS C Developers List
 > 20/04/2004 11:22
 > cc
 >
 > Please respond to Subject
 > ! "Apache AXIS C Setting HTTP headers from C++ stubs
 > Developers List"
 >

 > Hi All,
 > I tried to set HTTP headers from the C++ stub and fond that it is not
 > supported in current
 > Axis C++.
 > Hence I tried to write a stub to set HTTP headers from the stub. I
 > used
 > the interop base
 > sample.
 >
 > I crated a new class called ServiceStub and inherited
 > InteropTestPortType class from this (by
 > the way, can we change InteropTestPortType classname to a more
 meaningful
 > name)
 > I think it is good to have a base class for the stubs (as in Axis
 > Java). One can use the
 > ServiceStub class that I have written as the base class. This makes life
 > easier when it comes to
 > extending stub functionality.
 >
 > Also When I wanted to set the HTTP headers, I found that the existing
 > API does not h! ave a
 > mechanism to do so. Hence I added a setHTTPHeader methods to both Call
 and
 > AxisTransport classes.
 > ( I made the assumtion that the transport is always HTTP, which is
 > reasonable for current Axis C++
 > codebase, However need to change this to support new transports)
 >
 > I have attached my code here. And I think it is very important to
 > allow
 > flexibility on client
 > side and the consept of inheriting stub from a base class like
 ServiceStub