axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Samisa Abeysinghe <>
Subject RE: Resolving class name conflicts (for Axis c++ 1.2)
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 04:13:24 GMT
Hi All,
     Can we come to a conclusion on this?
     We got to decide on C++ classes (namespaces or prifixes) c functions(prefix) and API
header file include folder structure and header file names.
    There are two concerns here,
     1. nested #include stucture (flat or not)
     2. Name conflicts (namespaces or prifixes)
   (may be we can vote)
Samisa... wrote:
Hi Samisa,

I think there is no need to follow C styles everywhere because at the
moment there is no intention to gradually make Axis C++ Axis C. But in
order to achieve performance and stability we are planning get rid of STL.

> Hi Susantha,
> Yes C++ projects use folders. But Axis C++ is not pure C++.
> There is a C interface as well.
> Why not use a file name prefix as in apache web server?

Of course We can use file name prefixes instead of namespaces. But that is
a lot of work. For an example Call class will be Axis_Call

> Why do we have to use folders? Are there any specific advantages of
> using folders?

I think you are here talking about having folders to categorize include
files. We do this because we need to categorize them so that the client
developers will need only the set of include files in
/include/axis/client/ and server developer will need only

If we are going to get rid of folders
1. Call class will be Axis_Client_Call because we also need to make the
file name same as class name
2. In order to have a consistency we may need to get rid of folder
structure of /src/ too. This is then going to be a re-structure of whole