axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Yves Baudy <>
Subject Re: Resolving class name conflicts (for Axis c++ 1.2)
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:16:06 GMT

Using namespaces will solve conflicts for C++ and shouldn't affect services and
clients for C. But this will not solved potential conflict for C services and
clients. For example the interface named Call.h is a very common word.

+1 for prefixing the whole public Axis Headers by Axis.

>Hi Sanjaya,
>    If we use namespaces, would it affect services and clients written in c?
>    If the answer is no then +1 for namespaces.
>--- sanjaya singharage <> wrote:
>> What would be the best mechanism to resolve class name conflicts in the next
>Axis c++ release
>> (1.2)?
>> Two things are possible
>> 1. Use namespaces for Axis c++ classes
>> -In this case even if Axis c++ uses some third party libraries that has
>>classes with the same
>> class names as Axis c++, that can be resolved
>> -When a client application uses Axis c++ and some other libraries, class name
>>conflicts between
>> those libraries and axis c++ can be resolved.
>> -This is a feature that was intended to address such conflicts in c++
>> 2. Use some prefix for class names and hope that will be unique enough.
>> -If by some chance Axis c++ encounters a class with the same class name, with
>>prefix and all,
>> all the class names will need to have their prefix changed.
>> What are other plus or minus points for these two items? Is there any other
>>approach that we can
>> follow?
>> sanjaya.

View raw message