axis-c-dev mailing list archives

From dami...@opensource.lk
Subject RE: Work items for the next Release
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:33:29 GMT
Hi Lilantha,

>>> Let all the header files stay in their respective folders with their
>>> .cpp
>>> files. When the library is build the build scripts (Makefile etc.) will
>>> take
>>>
>>> care of copying only the required header files to the c/include folder.
>>> So that binary distribution (tar ball) will contain the library with
>>> only
>>> the required header file in the c/include.
>>
>>What I feel is that we let all the header files except files needed for
>> the
>>binary be in their source folders. We keep header files needed for binary
>>in the $AXISCPP_HOME/c/include. In that way from the beginng we
>>can cleary identify files which acts as interface to axis c++.
>>I don't see any gain by adding files to $AXISCPP_HOME/c/include only in
>>release time.
>
> There are few reasons for this suggestion:
>
> 1. Portability: The interpretation of the -I command option can differ
> from one system to another. Besides, it is not covered by the Standard.
> For
> example,
> the directive #include "dir/file.h" in conjunction with -I.. would cause
> most
> preprocessors in a Unix-like environment to search for file.h in ../dir
> but
> under
> VMS file.h is only searched for in the subdirectory dir in the current
> working
> directory. If you have your .h file with .cpp then "file.h" just look for
> the same folder and <file.h> will look for the folder specified by -I.
> And that allows us to avoid syntaxes like #include "dir/file.h".

Thanks for making me aware of the valuble info.

> 2. Consistency: it's not consistence and difficult to find as project get
> larger
> If you keep some of the header files with respective .cpp file and others
> separately.

What I mean is that $AXISCPP_HOME/include should contain header files
which acts as the api for the application. As the application programmer
normally try to keep the api of the program as consistant as possible even
between the versions, identifying the header files that should be there
should not be a problem.

If we are to select the header files that go with the binary only at the
release time, we need to do a painful selection!!

regds damitha