axis-axis1-java-user mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Bennett <...@rochester.rr.com>
Subject trailing characters following SOAP-ENV from SSL connection
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:29:34 GMT
Team Axis-

I have an app that serves as the client in a webservice transaction.  It
opens an SSL connection to the server, submits the SOAP and gets back a
response.  I'm using the "-Djavax.net.debug=all" setting to snoop the
data going in and out.  According to that log, I get a well-formed
SOAP-ENV coming back (expected), but immediately following it there are
some stray characters (16 chars of garbage text = unexpected).  I've
confirmed that the stray characters were not transmitted by the server,
but nevertheless, they show up.

The upshot is that Axis then hands the response (SOAP-ENV + trailing
garbage) to Xerces, and Xerces chokes on it.  Specifically, we get a
"Read timed out" while it parses the trailing garbage.  It looks like
Xerces would normally generate "org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Content
is not allowed in trailing section.", but if the garbage has just the
right characters, it may do some bizarre stuff.

Long story short, why is Axis delivering trailing garbage to me that was
never part of the response handed back? Is this actually an artifact of
the SSL connection?  If so, is there a reason why it's not being
stripped off when the response is decrypted?

Apologies, I'm a newbie when it comes to SSL portion of this, but I just
couldn't find any help on the net about this.

Jeffrey Bennett

FWIW, we're using a "pkcs12" (PKCS#12) keystore, Axis 1.4 and Xerces
2.9.1 on Java 1.6.0_13