avro-user mailing list archives

From Dan Schmitt <dan.schm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deep polymorphic type support
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2017 20:20:59 GMT
I was thinking:

record of:
    string: id
    Union: Payload

Assuming you have some render comparable function that turns a trait
Payload into an avro chunk
(which will have a schema) it's just a matter of adding the schema to
the Payload union.  You may
have to write that part yourself (I'm playing from the C++ side, not
the scala side, and while the
binary file format is flexible, you do end up writing more code to map
it to various language features..;
I don't know what you'd do to get it to de-serialize to a trait
(probably some extra tag in the payload
schema and code somewhere in the scala API to serialize/de-serialize it.)