avro-user mailing list archives

From Josh <jof...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Avro as a foundation of a JSON based system
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2016 16:21:09 GMT
I looked into this further and found that this behaviour actually only
happens in one specific case.

If we have a field x defined at the top level of the Avro schema with type
'record' (i.e. x is a nested record), and there are no other fields after
the nested record, then additional fields in the JSON version of x will be
ignored and the Avro record will be read successfully. However, if there
are any other fields defined in the schema after x, then we get an
AvroTypeException when there are unexpected fields in the JSON.

Not sure why this happens, but my fix for now is to just add a nullable
dummy field at the end of the schema.

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 1:35 PM, Josh <jofo90@gmail.com> wrote:

> For me, it appears to completely ignore fields in the JSON that aren't
> defined in the reader schema. The reader succeeds and builds a generic
> record (which excludes any additional fields in the JSON).
>
> Thanks for looking into it!
>
> Josh
>

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 8:31 PM, Zoltan Farkas <zolyfarkas@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I recall that it would fail if you have extra fields in the json that are
>> not defined in the reader schema and not in the writer schema.
>> let me look into it and will get back to you.
>>
>> —Z
>>

>> On Nov 18, 2016, at 7:21 AM, Josh <jofo90@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Zoltan,
>>
>> Your ExtendedJsonDecoder / Encoder looks really useful for doing the
>> conversions between JSON and Avro.
>>
>> I just have a quick question -  when I use the ExtendedJsonDecoder with a
>> GenericDatumReader, I get an AvroTypeException whenever the JSON doesn't
>> conform to the Avro schema (as expected). However, if the JSON has some
>> additional fields (i.e. fields that are present in the JSON, but not
>> present in the Avro schema), then the reader ignores those extra fields and
>> converts the JSON to Avro successfully. Do you know if there's a simple way
>> to make the reader detect these extra fields, and throw an exception in
>> that case?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Josh
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 3:52 PM, Zoltan Farkas <zolyfarkas@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> We are doing the same successfully so far… here is some detail:
>>>
>>> we do not use the standard JSON Encoders/Decoders from the avro project
>>> and we have our own which provide a more “natural” JSON encoding that
>>> implements:
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-1582
>>>
>>> For us it was also important to fix:
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-1723
>>>
>>> We had to use our own fork to be able to fix/implement our needs faster,
>>> which you can look at: https://github.com/zolyfarkas/avro
>>>
>>> Here is how we use the avro schemas:
>>>
>>> We develop our avro schema’s in separate projects “schema projects”.
>>>
>>> These projects are standard maven projects, stored in version control,
>>> build with CI and published to a maven repo the following:
>>> 1) avro generated java objects, sources and javadoc.
>>> 2) c# generated objects. (accessible with nugget to everybody)
>>> 3) zip package containing all schemas.
>>>
>>> We use avro IDL to define the schemas in the project, the avsc json
>>> format is difficult to read and maintain, the schema json is only a wire
>>> format for us.
>>>
>>> We see these advantages:
>>>
>>> 1) Building/Releasing a schema project is identical with releasing any
>>> maven project. (Jenkins, maven release plugin...)
>>> 2) Using this we can take advantage of the maven dependency system and
>>> reuse schemas. it is as simple as adding a <dependency> in your pom and
>>> import statement in your idl. (C# uses nugget)
>>> 3) As a side result our maven repo becomes a schema repo. And so far we
>>> see no reason to use a dedicated schema repo like:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-1124
>>> 4) the schema owner not only publishes schemas but also publishes al
>>> DTOs for java and .NET, this way any team that needs to use the schema has
>>> no need to generate code, all they need is to add a package dependency to
>>> they project.
>>> 5) During the build we also validate compatibiliy with the previously
>>> released schemas.
>>> 6) During the build we also validate schema quality. (comments on
>>> fields, naming…). We are planning to make this maven plugin open source.
>>> 7) Maven dependencies give you all the data needed to figure out what
>>> apps use a schema like: group:myschema:3.0
>>> 8) A rest service that uses a avro object for payload, can serve/accept
>>> data in: application/octet-stream;fmt=avro (avro binary),
>>> application/json;fmt=avro (classic json encoding),
>>> application/json;fmt=enhanced(AVRO-1582) allowing us to pick the right
>>> format for the right use case. (AVRO-1582 json can be significantly smaller
>>> in size than binary on certain type of data)
>>> 9) During the build we generate improved HTML doc for the avro objects,
>>> like: http://zolyfarkas.github.io/spf4j/spf4j-core/avrodoc.html#/
>>>
>>> The more we leverage avro the more use cases we find like:
>>>
>>> 1) config discovery plugin that scans code for uses of
>>> System.getProperty… and generates a avro idl :
>>> http://zolyfarkas.github.io/spf4j/spf4j-config-discovery-m
>>> aven-plugin/index.html