avro-user mailing list archives

From John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
Subject RE: State of the C++ vs Java implementations
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2014 20:03:48 GMT
Thanks!  Do you know where I can find a list of codecs supported in Java vs C++?
--john

From: Doug Cutting [mailto:cutting@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 1:44 PM
To: user@avro.apache.org
Subject: Re: State of the C++ vs Java implementations

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 11:56 AM, John Lilley <john.lilley@redpoint.net<mailto:john.lilley@redpoint.net>>
wrote:
I’m seeing discussion of a new Decimal encoding in the mailing list, and it would be bad
for us to commit to the C++ Avro, and then find that our customers have created Avro files
(using Java, MapReduce, etc) that we can’t read.  We don’t have control over what files
we encounter, and it is desirable for our product to read whatever a customer throws at it,
within reason.

Except for compression codecs, all implementations should be able to read all data files written
by other implementations.  The Avro schema language has not changed incompatibly since 1.0.
 Additions such as Decimal are back-compatible.  Implementations that have no knowledge of
Decimal schemas can still process data written that contains Decimals but will see them as
byte arrays with schema attributes.

Doug