avro-user mailing list archives

From John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
Subject RE: State of the C++ vs Java implementations
Date Sun, 17 Aug 2014 21:20:23 GMT
Thanks Doug.

If we go the C++ route (as opposed to a JNI wrapper) we’ll need support for all of the compressors
that could be in common use in the field, so that’s probably all of them.  It looks like
snappy, bzip, and xz are all available as native C/C++ libraries.  If we go that route, I
don’t have a problem working on the C++ integration, but we have no experience with the
mechanics of contributing to Apache open-source projects and would need some help getting
that done right.

This leads me to a few questions:

·         Is the Avro/ C++ community active?

·         Is there currently any Windows (Visual C++ project) support?

·         With regards to these codec libraries, would we add compile-time switches in Avro
C++ to control support for the additional codecs?

·         Should it be assumed that the packages are installed on the system in a standard
place?

Thanks,
John

From: Doug Cutting [mailto:cutting@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2014 11:29 AM
To: user@avro.apache.org
Subject: Re: State of the C++ vs Java implementations

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 1:03 PM, John Lilley <john.lilley@redpoint.net<mailto:john.lilley@redpoint.net>>
wrote:
Do you know where I can find a list of codecs supported in Java vs C++?

Grepping the Avro C++ headers, it seems to support just the null codec and deflate.  These
are the two codecs that every implementation is meant to support.

http://avro.apache.org/docs/current/spec.html#Required+Codecs

It would wonderful if someone contributed Snappy support to C++, but that's not yet happened.

Java additionally supports snappy, bzip2 and xz.

http://avro.apache.org/docs/current/api/java/org/apache/avro/file/CodecFactory.html

Doug