avro-user mailing list archives

From John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
Subject State of the C++ vs Java implementations
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2014 20:58:05 GMT
Greetings,

I am desiring to read and write Avro files (such as those manipulated by MapReduce applications)
from a C++ program.  While there are higher-level wrappers (such as Hive), I am interested
in reading/writing the files directly.  There are both C++ and Java library implementations;
however, in the C++ API README I see "And the file and rpc containers are not yet implemented."
 Does this mean that I can't read and write Avro files using the C++ library?

We have very good C++/JNI wrapper-generator, so using the Java is not terribly difficult.
 Given that, which interface would you recommend?  Does the C++ interface (assuming it works)
have significant performance advantages?

Thanks
john